Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fans of Jesus?

Last week I wrote about commitment and the Christian life. Discipleship, the following of Jesus Christ in every aspect of one’s life – private and public – is the Biblical call of all Christians. In fact, if you review the official documents or liturgies of virtually every Christian denomination you will find this serious commitment spelled out, sometimes in significant detail, such as in the baptismal vows of the Episcopal Church.  

Of course, we know that many Christians are not committed to their faith in any serious way. We also know in our own hearts that there are aspects of our own lives that are not in alignment with Christian teaching. No one has arrived at the destination of discipleship as long as they walk among the living. Yet there is clearly a difference between a person seeking to be a disciple and a person who has little interest in that level of commitment.
A disturbing realization I had one day was that in some aspects of my life I am striving to be a disciple, but in other aspects I’m really just a fan of Jesus (and more worrisome, seemly content for that to be so). In other words, while I admire Jesus’ own lifestyle and that of His followers over the centuries I’m not so sure I’m ready to do the same. I say, “yes, thank God for people like Francis of Assisi, or the many local saints I’ve know in my Christian life who give so sacrificially of their time, talent, and treasure,” but I’m not going to do that – not at that level – good for them!
I think all of us would do well to come to terms with the fact that often we are more fans of Jesus than we are followers. This recognition will help us to be more humble and less prone to judge others whose Christian commitment we believe is lacking. In addition, this recognition may awaken in us a need to repent and by the power of the Holy Spirit to surrender to Christ in deeper ways.

6 comments:

  1. Great post, brother. I think another aspect of this is an aspect our Roman friends have long recognized: sanctification is contagious. When one comes in contact with someone deeply holy, at least for a while, we carry that with us. Just another reason to bring our lives into conformity with that rich tradition of the saints who've gone before us: recognizing that we (no matter how frail we feel or how we fall short) now have to carry that torch into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I think we also have a tendency to think holiness is reserved for people like Francis of Assissi or Dominic or Mother Teresa - not something we ordinary Christians will attain, so no point trying. We are therefore content to stay a fan rather than a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I particularly like your last paragraph, Brother. I strive to awaken from my worldly sleep-walking. It is a hard thing to balance with one foot in the earthly world and one foot in the spiritual world. I think the point is to keep trying. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking about your last post for several days now and then again this morning when I read this post. Here it is. I see a big difference between being a committed Christian and being called Christian. I tried being committed Christian for many years and tears until I came to the end of myself. I ran out of steam trying to make things work for Jesus. I knew best what to do. And, if I didn't I was going to find out what to do no matter what it took to do it. If I can just learn to pray the right way and get the right results...do the love works that will result in the Kingdom Come (ing) just a little closer then God will be happy and I'll have succeded in my commitment. I failed miserably. But, then when I was all done, couldn't do anymore, at the end of my being able to try, then I heard God calling and 'that has made all the difference in the world.' Calling is when we respond in Love to the Love that has been given to us. Following instead of leading. Letting the Pascahl Mystery work through me instead of me trying to figure it all out and make everybody else believe it and accept it. It's that 'I'm God and your not' realization that can be so hard for us. Being committed is a good thing, but I don't think that it can or should be the first step on the dance floor. Answering the Call is the first thing. The first word in The Rule of St.Benedict is 'Listen'. God is with us in ('turned our will and our lives over to the care of God') not at the end of our accomplishments. Mia Culpa if I have rambled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The word, "fan", chimed within my being since my Dad was a sports fan of extraordinary extremes. At one time of his life it centered around sports above all else. We received multiple newspapers and magazines so he could keep up on the latest in sports.

    Later in life he exchanged his love of sports for love of God and family. He prayed, went to church occasionally and lived life as a fan of Jesus and sometimes even as a follower.

    Let's teach our children to be fans of God and the saints first and then to play in the pros.

    Sister Susan, I like what you say about worldly sleep walking. Shaking ourselves from what we consider reality helps us to be alive in the world, as it truly is, with all of its pain and glory finding beauty in the most unexpected places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This morning I prayed Morning Prayer on the Mission St. Clare website. http://www.missionstclare.com/english/September/whole/morning/27m.html

    The saint featured was Vincent de Paul, Helper of the Poor. His eyes were opened after he came in contact with the poor. He devoted his life to those poor and sick in body, mind and soul. His life exemplifies that of a true follower of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete