Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Do we Stand for Anything?

This Friday the Episcopal calendar features the feast day of Martin Luther, the great Protestant reformer from sixteenth century Germany. Luther, when brought to trial for heresy and ask to recant (take back) his teachings, is reported to have concluded his defense with these words, “Here I stand, I can do no other. God help me. Amen.”  In the sixteenth century such rhetorical heroism could result in censure, imprisonment, or even death. Luther is certainly not the only example of a Christian who believed strongly enough in something that he was willing to take a stand for his faith, even if his stand was unpopular with some. This makes me ponder. What about my faith would I be willing to go on trial for? What about your faith would you be willing to go on trial for?

Going on trial is a rather exceptional sort of instance (for North American Christians anyway), so perhaps a softer question is in order, “are we willing to place our two metaphysical feet on the ground for anything related to our faith?”  My experience is that church people are often willing to take stands on issues like the color of the carpet, the personality of the pastor, and whether or not a beloved tradition will be continued. I’m not saying that these things aren’t important or don’t merit some attention (in some cases minimal attention albeit), but what about doctrine, belief, our creeds, the existence of God, will we stand for any of these?  

Or, are we simply content to allow others to stand for us? Maybe the reality is more tragic, namely, that we are so lukewarm in our faith that nothing about Christianity could move us to our feet except the closing hymn of the service?

Where would you stand? 

9 comments:

  1. I will avoid commenting on the heresies of Luther. However, the Saints teach us by example that we should indeed take a stand. It is far from easy, and even the most devout fail in such efforts from time to time. The arguments of the color of the carpet take our attention off of the real issues. While factions in the church battle to change theology for reasons of social justice and temporal philosophy, they forget to apply the teachings of the Church and take a real stand against the real problems in the world. Off hand we have right to life issues, such as abortion, ethics in finance and government, and other such large-scale issues.

    On a smaller scale, perhaps the little crucifix you keep on your desk at work has been ordered removed because it "might offend someone." Of course, this "smaller scale" issue is really part of a larger issue, and that is the attempted suppression of Christianity. Would you risk your job? It's certainly a scary position to be in, but if you ask God for courage, I bet you'll get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: Archbishop Rutherford, we are in agreement that there is no need to "change theology for reasons of social justice" such as right to life, "abortion, ethics in finance and government, and other such large-scale issues." Jesus, as the ideal human, shows us the way.

    Along that way we will be challenged and persecuted. We will also make mistakes because we are far from the perfect human image of God in Jesus. I have suffered for my faith, yet, it is nothing compared to the suffering of Christians in much of the world who are imprisoned, tortured and executed for being a Christian. They embody true faith and the whole Body of Christ suffers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brother Michael (of Montgomery)February 16, 2011 at 5:44 PM

    Since I live in a world that offers little hardship in the practicing of my faith,(although I do agree with the idea that we are now missionaries in a post-christian society ) I choose to make my stands as the little choices I have to make every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brother Michael,

    What would be a couple of examples of these little choices?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brother Michael (of Montgomery)February 17, 2011 at 2:45 PM

    Simply put, for myself I must choose each day to make my Christianity obvious. Not by wearing a cross, or a "WWJD" bracelet or anything, but to be a light on top of the hill. We must LIVE our Christianity, not just profess it. I must be a missionary in a post-christian society, and that means staying salty. Matthew 5:14 says we are the Light of the World, and that we cannot be hidden. I take that to be a statement and a command.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And, a wonderful invitation to live a life that is holy, beyond imagination, forever and then some, completely with no lacking whatsoever and face to face, hand in hand with Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And here is a way you can help take a stand:
    http://www.causes.com/causes/580426-support-christ-and-the-eucharist

    ReplyDelete
  8. Br. Gordon James, OPAFebruary 18, 2011 at 8:23 AM

    A friend of mine says 'What you think of me is none of my business'. In some cases I think that he is right. I thought that this was true except for my loved ones ie parents, wife, children, you the people I admire...and then I thought of Jesus' sayings about nothing being more important than him ...including family relations. Also, his comments on his family waiting to see him. So, maybe my friend is right and I would like to add that we do play to an audience of one, ultimately. I guess we should say that when we 'stand' it should always be in love...which truly only we know whether we do or not. But, we stand with Jesus and isn't that what we are standing about.

    ReplyDelete