Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

When were you converted?

When were you converted? This is an important question for every Christian to consider and reflect upon. The answer may not be as simple as you think. Some Christians emphasize a moment of conversion, a place and time in their life where they willfully made a decision to follow Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. This moment serves as the marker in their life of when they became a Christian.

Other Christians think of conversion as a process and while many know they have made a commitment to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior they cannot pinpoint the specific moment in time when they made this decision. This second approach is somewhat like being in love, it can be hard to pinpoint the moment it all began. Reflection often reveals a slow growing sense of being in love, or in the case of our discussion, a growing sense of commitment to Christ.

The danger here (with this second perspective) is to assume you have made this commitment to Christ. It is not necessary to agonize over whether you made this decision or not, but simply to review the facts of your life and the state of your soul. If you aren’t sure about where you stand with God you should talk about this with a trusted friend whose Christian faith and commitment are mature.

Lastly, many Christians view conversion as a life-long process of growth, change, and transformation. This developmental aspect of Christian life is certainly is true, whether we call it conversion or not (or as others would prefer sanctification).  

Are you converted? Are you being converted?

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think people confuse being "converted" with being saved. I can tell you the moment I was saved, the moment I accepted Jesus as my savior and gave myself to the Lord completely. But conversion is a process, in my opinion. I don't know if there is ever an end, really. We all have things we need to work on to grow in our faith and get closer to God. Always!...until our last breath is taken. Who can say they are done?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadie,

    Yes, I think you're on to something here. The challenge of course is that we all have a tendency to say, "yes I'm not perfect, yes I could improve," but we don't neccesarily act upon that confession or really regard ourselves as works in progress with much need of re-shaping by the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed. I get much of my inspiration from going to church. The scripture of the day, the lessons, the sermon.... they give me a clear picture of what I need to be working on. Time after time I have joked to my priest that he must be spying at my house and then writing the sermons. God speaks to me so clearly in them.

    And I pray. I pray for Him to show me what I need to improve, and to help me improve it.

    Example: I have a temper. It causes me such grief. Lately I have been dealt a stream of unfortunate events where I have been treated badly and I have been very angry about it, stomping on course to set things right, by golly, talk to managers, whatever I have to do! Grr!....

    Last weekend's service, the topic was sermon on the mount, special emphasis on THE PEACEMAKERS and THE MEEK and why are they blessed, etc. The psalm for the day said: "Refrain from anger, leave rage alone; do not fret yourself; it leads only to evil" (Psalm 37:9).

    It's very clear. I knew I had a temper and I knew I had to work on it. And by the end of the sermon I also knew WHY. So now I pray for help to overcome it, to rid myself of it. And He helps me, absolutely.


    Pray to be shown what you need to work on next.
    Pray for His help in doing so.

    "With God's help, I will"...

    ReplyDelete